Sunday, November 15, 2009

NOVEMBER 16 SAINT GERTRUDE

“Saint Gertrude”
Artist and Date are UNKNOWN 
NOVEMBER 16

SAINT GERTRUDE, VIRGIN
 

Biographical Information about St. Gertrude [1]

Readings for the Memorial of St. Gertrude

Readings and Commentary:
[2]

FIRST READING
 
Ephesians 3:14-19

Brothers and sisters:
I kneel before the Father,
from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named,
that he may grant you in accord with the riches of his glory
to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in the inner self,
and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith;
that you, rooted and grounded in love,
may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones
what is the breadth and length and height and depth,
and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge,
so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Eph 3:14-19

St. Paul is addressing the Gentiles in Ephesus. “The apostle prays that those he is addressing may, like the rest of the church, deepen their understanding of God's plan of salvation in Christ. It is a plan that affects the whole universe with the breadth and length and height and depth of God's love in Christ or possibly the universe in all its dimensions. The apostle prays that they may perceive the redemptive love of Christ for them and be completely immersed in the fullness of God.”
[3]

CCC: Eph 3:14 239, 2214, 2367; Eph 3:16-17 1073, 2714; Eph 3:16 1995; Eph 3:18-21 2565
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RESPONSORIAL PSALM
 
Psalm 23:1 b-3a, 4, 5, 6

R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

 
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
Beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.
 

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil;
for you are at my side
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
 

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
 

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.
 

R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Ps 23:1 b-3a, 4, 5, 6

Psalm 23 is one of the most familiar in the entire psalter. “God's loving care for the psalmist is portrayed under the figures of a shepherd for the flock (Psalm 23:1-4) and a host's generosity toward a guest (Psalm 23:5-6). The imagery of both sections is drawn from traditions of the exodus (Isaiah 40:11; 49:10; Jeremiah 31:10).” [4] While the theme of Shepherd is mentioned in the first strophe, the psalm really speaks to the peace given to those who follow the Lord and place their trust in Him, even into the “dark valley.”

The reference in the third strophe above “You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes” occurs in an exodus context in Psalm 78:19. As my enemies watch: my enemies see that I am God's friend and guest. Oil: a perfumed ointment made from olive oil, used especially at banquets (Psalm 104:15; Matthew 26:7; Luke 7:37, 46; John 12:2).[4]

CCC: Ps 23:5 1293
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GOSPEL

 John 15:1-8

Jesus said to his disciples:
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower.
He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit,
and every one that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.
You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you.
Remain in me, as I remain in you.
Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own
unless it remains on the vine,
so neither can you unless you remain in me.
I am the vine, you are the branches.
Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit,
because without me you can do nothing.
Anyone who does not remain in me
will be thrown out like a branch and wither;
people will gather them and throw them into a fire
and they will be burned.
If you remain in me and my words remain in you,
ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you.
By this is my Father glorified,
that you bear much fruit and become my disciples."
 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on
Jn 15:1-8

This selection begins the discourse on the vine and the branches – really a monologue on the union with Jesus. It is still part of Jesus’ farewell speech. The familiar image of the Vineyard and the Vines is used which has imagery in common with Isaiah 5:1-7; Matthew 21:33-46 and as a vine at Psalm 80:9-17; Jeremiah 2:21; Ezekiel 15:2; 17:5-10; 19:10; Hosea 10:1, the identification of the vine as the Son of Man in Psalm 80:15 and Wisdom's description of herself as a vine in Sirach 24:17. This monologue becomes a unifying tie that pulls everything together.


CCC: Jn 15:1-17 1108; Jn 15:1-5 755; Jn 15:1-4 1988; Jn 15:3 517; Jn 15:4-5  787; Jn 15:5 308, 737, 859, 864, 1694, 2074, 2732; Jn 15:7 2615; Jn 15:8 737
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reflection:

St. Gertrude is one of the great Benedictine Saints (1256-1302). Indeed she is one of the great branches off of the vine of her beloved Christ who inspired her and gave her great grace. Her history is well documented and her piety is inspiring. The major thrust of her spirituality is her devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus “the symbol of that immense charity which urged the Word to take flesh, to institute the Holy Eucharist, to take on Himself our sins, and, dying on the Cross, to offer Himself as a victim and a sacrifice to the Eternal Father (Congregation of Rites, 3 April, 1825).”
[5]

The Church sees St. Gertrude as having such influence on others that we must reckon her as that branch of the vine which has borne much fruit and continues to do so in all who read her works and emulate her love of the Lord.

On this, her feast day, we send our prayers to her, thanking her for the legacy of faith she has left us and asking for her intercession that we might join her one day, basking in the love of the Sacred Heart, source of pure love.

Pax

 
[1] The picture is “Saint Gertrude” Artist and Date are UNKNOWN 

[2] Text of Readings is taken from the New American Bible, Copyright © Libreria Editrice Vaticana, Excerpts from the English translation of The Roman Missal © 1973, International Committee on English in the Liturgy, Inc. All rights reserved. 
[3] See NAB Footnote on Ephesians 3:14-19 
[4] See NAB Footnote on Psalm 23
[5] Casanova, Gertrude. "St. Gertrude the Great." The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 6. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1909. 15 Nov. 2009 .

No comments: